Wednesday 20 July 2011

Little bear is morbid

Due to quite a lot of different factors, little bear is now telling me that he doesn't want to die. He doesn't say it all day, every day. But once or twice a week I get this.

I have no idea what to say.

At the moment I am taking the tack that it is okay to feel that, don't worry about it and then waving a distraction. I have no idea how long that will work. But I just don't have the words to give him reassurance.

And on the horizon is the cloud of if evil cat will pass away. Or really, when evil cat will pass away. The vet gave her a tentative year a few months ago. Her reflexes are pretty good when she wants a catnip toy or is trying to steal, but she is creaky and sleeping plenty. Mind you, she has been creaky for quite a while now and all cats sleep to professional standard. Just when I really start to worry, evil cat does something evil and energetic to reassure me.

So far I have taken the approach with cats we have had in the past, notably malevolent cat who doted on little bear, that sometimes people and cats are too poorly or too old to carry on and have to go to heaven, where they are really happy and well again. They can see us even if we can't see them and they still love us very much.

I hope that it will be a long time before I have to do the talk about evil cat.

No comments: