Friday 8 July 2011

I want a stove

I found out that we are in a smokeless zone. This means that there are only certain fuels we can burn unless we have an exempt appliance. I started looking through the list but my eyes got crossed. There are probably lots of options, if I sort through properly. Though round here I will probably be reported if I put a twig on that I shouldn't.

I really, really, really want a stove fire in our living room. I can think of dozens of reasons to have one (including burning all the junk mail we get and the two papers a day darling father goes through). Also there is something there that just calls to me. If there was no open fire in the cottage in Pickering we would definitely go somewhere else, regardless of what OH would say.

I can't see us getting one, not this winter, what with bees (who may be warm or overheated), cost, mess, etc. Where would we keep fuel? How about insurance costs? But I can still dream.

2 comments:

Morgan said...

Having a woodburner hasn't affected our insurance.

If you get a multifuel stove, rather than a woodburner, although they look alike, you would be able to burn smokeless fuel. I believe it would be more expensive to run as you have to buy the specific fuel for it, rather than acquiring wood the way we do, but you would still have your stove that way.

Hope you can get one sorted out before too many winters pass - we love ours!

Wannabe Sybil said...

I'm considering insisting OH dip into savings. I am looking at a multifuel that will also burn wood - some are okay in a smokeless zone because of their construction. I feel that stoves etc heat the bones of a house, and another winter like the last one will make one particularly desirable. And it would be so warming in an emotional, basic way! WS x Also I envy you.