Monday 25 July 2011

Fridge

I have a larder fridge that is the height of a worktop. It is next to the cooker, not ideal but the only place a fridge/freezer can go in the kitchen. There used to be a fridge/freezer there, but when little bear came along I insisted that we had a full height freezer with drawers in the walk in cupboard and a half height larder fridge in the kitchen, and because it was next to a plug that was where the kettle solely for little bear's bottles and all the paraphernalia of sterilising and formula preparation was there together in one place.

He doesn't have bottles anymore.

Now it is the tea stop where the kettle, tea bags, etc are plus the big spoons and slices that you use with pans stored in former Vanish tubs. I have a big spoon rest for when I am cooking and a little one for when I am making lots of different hot drinks. It is really convenient.

However the fridge top is now covered in gathering rust spots after all the years of being splashed by sterilising fluid. It is looking a bit shop worn. When I cleaned the fridge yesterday (not a very thorough job but if the fridge is not clean then at least it is cleaner) I noticed seals starting to split and the plastic coating wearing off a shelf.

Darn. I am going to have to get a new fridge. Okay, it will be in the next two years, probably, or definitely in the next five. But our last fridge freezer lasted for fifteen years and I only got rid of it because of the change in layout. The extra I paid for an A rating in energy use probably hasn't had time to pay for itself. I expected better than that!

Still, at least I can exercise my shopping impulse with window shopping for fridges.

No comments: