Tuesday 19 July 2011

Patience? Pass the dictionary

Okay, despite everything, I bought a copy of 'The Knitter' with an article on 'Judy's Magic Cast on' which is freely available on the interwebs.

And there was a gorgeous pattern for a knitted cushion cover, with smocking, which I have never tried. And I did happen to have enough of the right weight yarn around, funnily enough.

But I didn't have the right size needles. This baffles me, as I have heaps and piles and stacks of needles, but not in the right size. That needle is probably somewhere in a half finished project somewhere. So I thought, darn it to heck, I'll use the size up. The yarn is aran, the knitting needles are 4.5mm which is smaller than the 5mm-6mm usually recommended for aran and I couldn't wait (in my defence, I am feeling a bit poorly). So I used 5mm.

However that means that the knitting has a more open fabric (though still not very open) so when I stuff it I will have to line it in a matching/toning colour rather than just emptying an old pillow into it. Fortunately I have been given some fleece which is the right colour, so the cushion will be uber warm, and I will stuff it with an old sweater I knitted nearly twenty years ago, which really isn't fit to be seen any more but if I don't shred it then I will wear it.

After all, I am just making something to sit on. And the smocking is coming along lovely.

No comments: