Wednesday 20 July 2011

Washing

Actually, it's not the washing, it's the drying. Today is grey and damp and not drying weather, but I foolishly put in a load last night in the hope that the weather would be at least dry between showers. As it is, the weather is just damp. The washing is just hanging limply and looking soggy.

Our garden doesn't actually get sun between around November and February. There are 'bushes' that were supposed to be kept 'landscaped' opposite, and the laurels have now grown to double the size that they were when we moved in and are probably at least thirty feet tall. In winter the sun doesn't get high enough to hit the garden over the 'bushes' but does at least hit the house. So unless it is a very clear, dry day in winter it is not worth me hanging out washing then. When you factor in all the rainy days that British weather generates, you don't get many chances to dry outside. But when I do, I wash and hang out everything!

Little bear's martial arts suit cannot be tumble dried according to the label. I am unimpressed. It is a sturdy twill, 60% cotton, 40% polyester, and my instinct would have said to just throw it all in. However I daren't risk it. All I can say is thank goodness I have a dehumidifier and can hang clothes next to it.

Last night evil cat needed water in the middle of the night. I crept down, rinsed and filled her water bowl and then stood on not one but two slugs! And it was on a mat and not the floor. Ewwww! So I need to wash the mat - I NEED to wash the mat. However if it rains I will never get it dry, it is one of those hard backed ones that is supposed to trap dirt.

I think I shall wash it any way and leave it out in the rain if necessary. Squashed slug is not hanging around.

No comments: