Wednesday 18 January 2012

Meal Planning Plan C

... or possibly plan D, I lose count.

We didn't have casserole because I forgot to get the meat out of the freezer, and we didn't go to football as little bear looked as exhausted as I feel, so I suppose that we will have to abandon that. Three things after school is a bit much, as many tried to tell me.

But I did make a home made pasta sauce, well, relatively home made. I softened some onions, some frozen mushrooms I had got inexpensive, peeled and frozen, with some frozen sliced peppers which I have too much of in my freezer and some sliced tinned hotdogs (sliced with scissors). Then I added a tin of undiluted condensed tomato soup with herbs and worcestershire sauce and heated through. The only thing bought in was the onions as even the hotdogs had been lingering in the cupboard since the summer as little bear decided he really liked eating them. Both the hotdogs and the tomato soup were less than 5% fat (not sure I believe the writing on the tin of hotdogs) though I am not sure about the salt.

So, that was my triumph for the day - I cooked! And I do feel good about it as it would have been easy to get fish and chips yet again. Tomorrow is looking like sausages or similar - I shall see what is in the freezer or do something with the tinned meat still in the cupboard although that is going down. Friday is home cooked fish and Saturday is a takeaway! Just two evening meals to go to the weekend.

1 comment:

Witch Hazel said...

Hi Syb, well done on the pasta sauce. On the meal planning front, reading your posts suggests that its forgetting to get things out of the freezer that is the most common cause of derailment. You need to get into the habit/routine of getting stuff out of the freezer, so pick a time when it will be on your mind. It could be, "before you wash up today's dinner things, you get the food out of the freezer for tomorrow", or "before you turn the kitchen light off at night"... or whatever. Or stick a note on the fridge so that you see it in the morning. It doesn't matter when/what routine you pick, just pick something. If you defrost overnight in the fridge, and f you've defrosted something and plans change, all you have to do is have the defrosted thing on the next day instead. Good luck.