Monday 9 January 2012

Sleep

Today was a failure, I have slept most of it since I dropped little bear off with his sock to make a dinosaur sock puppet. I have had short nights and no chance to catch up for a while and today it hit me. I have been trying to avoid doing this as tonight I will struggle to sleep again, but then, even when exhausted I am struggling to sleep at night. I may as well have some brain function left.

Little bear is another problem altogether. He is shattered, absolutely exhausted. He was like this over Christmas as he got so over excited about his birthday and Christmas that he wore himself out. Now I worry that the three activities per week are too much - this Saturday he is attending a birthday party of his second best friend and a concert at the piano teacher's house as well. I find myself skipping his bath just to get him into bed that bit earlier, but he is a devil to get to sleep (just like his mum!) and he won't stay asleep, the record for him sleeping in is 8am and he could do with spending a bit more asleep time on the weekend.

In fact, he was so tired yesterday that he was considering an afternoon nap. It never happened but it was a close thing. And I am reluctant to reduce his activities because they either involve physical exercise or a lot of travel (or both) which should theoretically tire him out and help him sleep.

It's normal for a five year old, I suppose. I am not looking at how much sleep he is getting, more how tired he seems. I think as the days become lighter, little bear will pick up. I am also going to be trying to boost iron and Vitamin C intake.

Does it ever get easier? Do you ever stop worrying about your children? I swear if I don't watch myself I shall be reminding him to wear a vest when he is thirty!

2 comments:

Morgan said...

You don't stop worrying, but you worry about different things!

My two are 12 and 15 and now I am beginning to worry about the 15 year old (16 in August) travelling alone in September and onwards, for 6th form college - it may involve buses and/or trains!

I don't worry a lot about their sleep as they will both lay down and go to sleep if they are that tired, even if it is only the afternoon!!

I worry about their futures, their education, their finances!! If you have any spare money, I'd start a Children's ISA for LB as soon as you can, if he is eligible!

They need love (and that includes a safe warm house to live in, a bed, plenty of good food and lots of books, warm clothes, good shoes, but not too many toys!).

You are doing all the right things xx

Wannabe Sybil said...

Bless you Morgan! Little bear has the trust fund thingy from the government and his own bank account which has a small standing order going in to it. I'll look into an ISA for him. Thanks for the hugs!!! WS x