Wednesday 11 January 2012

Meal plans - ha!

I forgot to take the meat out of the freezer to do a casserole for today in the slow cooker. But that's okay - little bear is just too tired to do almost anything (except eat sweets and even that is a bit hit and miss) so we are missing football and I have taken mince out early enough to do something like beeferoni or chilli con charlie.

I am keeping going at the freezer. I really want to make some space. You see, I like using the country soup mix with pasta in casseroles and soups. It is a mixture of a variety of dried peas, barley and pasta and is edible after an hour's cooking. I bought some of the soup mix that doesn't have pasta and needs soaking overnight from Approved Food in error. I never remember to soak it. So I thought I would soak a very large quantity overnight, give it a good simmer the next day and then freeze in usable amounts. To do that, however, requires space in the freezer. I think it will be worth it, however, as some of that mixture simmered up with some onion and finely chopped bacon would be extremely tasty, warm, satisfying and appeal a lot to darling father and OH. Little bear would have his customary cold tinned tomato soup.

Today has not been a good day, start again tomorrow. Tomorrow is Thursday and nothing is planned. I think tomorrow is going to be frozen, breaded haddock and remoska potatoes, with the last of the microwave veggies in bags (bought for Christmas and taking up far too much room in the freezer) and Friday can be curry made with the turkey still lurking in the freezer as we will be out until latish. Saturday is looking like sausage...

darling father has just popped in and would like a takeaway, no worries, he's paying. Will rethink again

No comments: