Friday 27 January 2012

Surprise Clutterbust

The kitchen is a health hazard, and we have just had people in servicing the boiler. After they went I looked round and my heart sank. And there is nowhere to put everything.

Once upon a time I used to be really good about clearing stuff out and watching sell by dates, but that is a while ago. So I started pulling stuff out of my 'flavours' cupboard. It has dried veg, herbs, spices, sauces, pickles, gravy granules etc. I have only done half a job so far, just a swipe over the shelf and a rummage, but I have already cleared out a load. Some things I am not getting rid of regardless of the sell by date, because for example chilli powder loses strength rather than becoming mouldy. Other stuff I threw just because I was sick of looking at it, and it was time to get rid. Jams keep regardless no matter what the date says, but if I haven't used it in two years, I am not going to use it now.

One thing I have done, which I quite like, is use a glass jar that looks like an old, squat sweet jar and put a lot of loose stock cubes in. I stocked up on the stock cubes ages ago when there was a sale on at Approved Food. All the red beef, orange and gold chicken and green vegetable cubes look almost sweet like. The jar is a substitute for a kilner style jar which I wanted from an Asda delivery for rice, but I am not confident of how air tight it is.

I am about to go back and tackle the herbs and spices jars, which I keep together on the shelves in old plastic biscuit tin boxes - which I seriously would recommend to anyone! I have spices in an orange box and herbs in a green box and when I am making a dish I can just pull out the box and rummage. However I think I need a really good rummage tonight.

As for tea tonight - darling father has requested meatballs, the ones he brought back from IKEA. So meatballs it is.

No comments: