Tuesday 20 March 2012

I am a hypocrite about cards

Wean - I think you are right. I am really bad at remembering cards etc, and do feel v guilty about it. But I do like sending a birthday card that fits, that suits the person. I am a little restricted as I only buy from my local newsagents, who do have a brilliant range, but it isn't vast. I just believe in buying local.

I love sending cards but I hate the commercial pressure. And I really, really hate the commercial pressure that means that we should feel guilty for not spending money on something that is an invention of the card industry. I used to print our own cards, but OH didn't like that.

I have a weird background to birthday cards. My mother died two days before my birthday. I was staying at her house, and stayed for the week trying to sort stuff out. OH came up for the funeral, and brought a carrier bag full of cards, evenly divided between birthday cards and sympathy cards. So birthday cards to me are nice because of the thought, but I don't really think about them much.

Also, I can't be having with Valentine's day as it is now so commercial, I can't be having with a lot of fuss at Mother's Day at the moment, with little bear being so young, and I really don't want to be reminded of my wedding anniversary. I am a bit of a dead loss to the card industry. I even bought my last lot of Christmas cards in bulk from Approved Food. I do try and remember birthdays with nice cards though, sometimes in quantity from me, little bear, evil cat....

No comments: