Sunday 18 March 2012

Operation Clutterbust stutters on

Darling father will be manning a stall at the Methodists next weekend (or the weekend after - I am not sure when I think of it) and he will be covering the bookstall. It was time to go through our books.

The way we work is that we take all the books off a shelf, then we take it in turns to put the books back on the shelf, but only the ones we actually really want. We don't have to justify or explain, and we both get a say in what is kept.

OH and I filled one large shopping trolley and one very large suitcase on wheels and took it to the Methodists after service. Then there was another stint which easily filled the shopping trolley again. I have also filled a few more bags with old knitting magazines. Interestingly, since I started culling them, I have found it easier to resist buying them. I remember my late grandmother with a room filled with stacks of Woman's Weekly, kept in case she needed a knitting pattern or a recipe. To my knowledge, she never did.

I have also filled a few bags of stuff that need to be sent to other people. Next week will involve parcelling things up and queuing at the post office.

Depressingly, we need more bookshelves and we have nowhere to put them. Most of the books currently on the shelves are ones that are unlikely to make it to kindle, and many are quite hard to get hold of. I think I shall have to work on this.

2 comments:

Morgan said...

Your grandmother and I have a lot in common! I MUST do more clutterbusting this week xx

Wannabe Sybil said...

It was an attempt at grasping the reality - I wasn't going to try half of these ideas, I have dozens of projects started and, crucially, I can almost certainly find anything I need on the net. I won't say it was easy, and some magazines are staying, but there is now a significant gap. All I need to do now is tackle the huge stash under the table... Good luck with your clutterbusting! WS x