Wednesday 7 March 2012

The Social Whirl

Little bear is going to tea today with a little girl, along with another little girl and a little boy. It is a birthday tea and I have bought a present and little bear has chosen and written a card.

He's never been to a tea like this before. I am absolutely terrified. He should be fine - he normally behaves immaculately when out. It's just, well, he's out, on his own, in a social event, and I won't be there.

The mum (who is absolutely lovely!) would be happy for me to stay, but I suspect I am more trouble than I am worth so I am scuttling home after dropping him off. Then I shall sit on the edge of a chair and wait until either something dreadful happens or it is time to pick him up. Of course little bear will be fine. They are all friends after all, and like I say, the mum is lovely and works with children. The dad will be there, and he is also lovely. What can go wrong? Yes, saying 'what can go wrong' in a movie means it is either slapstick comedy or slasher horror, but it should be absolutely fine.

Last night little bear was happily chatting away about the party to OH and then casually announces, '...and on Thursday we can invite X (the little girl who is his 'true love' and who he hasn't seen since October) to tea.

OH nearly fell over laughing. He said that my expression of utter shock and horror as I quickly said, 'No!' was hysterical. All I could think of was, 'NOOOOOOOO!!!!!' which is perhaps not a measured and rational response. I said that the house was too messy, which is accurate and which little bear accepted. But what do I feed to assorted four/five year olds? What do I do with them? Who on earth should I invite? But I am going to have to do a return invitation soon.

I am trying to reassure myself, but it isn't working. The social whirl has started.

No comments: