Sunday 18 March 2012

Meal Planning Challenges

I am giving little bear a certain amount of leeway in eating. For one thing, he is eating a lot of fish so I am loading him up with that.

(he told OH, with solemn firmness, that what we were eating wasn't haddock, it was fish!)

And darling father is struggling. It is only just a week since he had five teeth out, and a lot of food is a challenge for him. He has been under the weather, regardless, so he needs to be built up. I also am a bit wary of some ideas as on Friday night darling father had a serious choking fit. Due to a stroke twenty years ago, he hasn't got a good swallowing mechanism and a whole pea got stuck in his windpipe. So the usual peas that I dish out to us all, and that little bear will eat, are a bit of a gamble.

At this point I should say that I give in to little bear due to the stress of OH, and that little bear will eat almost anything out, will be incredibly polite in company, and eats a varied diet at school. Apparently he only likes fruit in school. I am proud I didn't say anything when he came out with that gem.

So all in all, working out what on earth to cook is getting to be a bit of a challenge. Tonight we had chicken crown (from the freezer, it had been on offer) with mash and mushy peas. Little bear loves mushy peas, so I can see those being a staple for the next few weeks. Tomorrow is likely to be corned beef hash (fish fingers/soup etc for little bear) and the day after I have some turkey breast strips ordered and I think stir fried with a jar of sauce should be fine for darling father, he has been fine with rice so far.

I didn't bother with an ocado order, it just wasn't worth it, not at this time, though I will certainly check it out again in the future. However I seem to have asda delivering twice a week at the moment, which isn't good, but hopefully as all settles down it should be less. The delivery charge, if I pick my moment, is still less than the bus fare to anywhere I can buy food.

And as little bear realises the treats are drying up now he is no longer stuffed with chicken pox, he is going to be very fed up, so I plan to sneak some home made fruit in jelly into him, and hopefully that will set a good precedent.

No comments: