Tuesday 22 January 2013

Careful Calculations

I had booked a Mr S delivery for Sunday, in nice time for the start of the week and delivering ingredients for bear's lunches.  There was an offer on for tins of Heinz soup, six tins for £4, or 66p per tin.  This isn't a bad price, though I was aware that Morrisons had had soup lower in the past, but I was tempted to put a few in the trolley.  I really don't like the taste of other soups, especially other tomato soups, and they are a useful lunch.  Also relatively lower calorie, quick and suitable for me and darling father if I was trying to get other stuff done. 

Darling father went out today which I thought was very brave.  He popped to the local Asda, and reported that the tins of Heinz soup there were 50p per tin.  50p per tin is about the lowest I have seen it recently, and it is worth stocking up, especially as bear will eat tomato soup and it counts as one of his five a day!

So I am considering switching my delivery to Mr A.  However I will pay £3.95 for the Sunday delivery from Mr S and £5 from Mr A.  I would have to buy eight tins of soup, or eight times 16p, the difference between the soups, to recoup the difference in delivery charge.  Both delivery charges are reasonable deals when it comes to bus fare, as a day ticket costs £3.80 and I would probably have to do several trips.  I rarely ask OH to take me - shopping is hell for him, even if I leave him and bear in a cafe. 

I do actually want the soup, as it will be a good standby, and I don't think 50p deals come along every week.  I shall be watching to see when the do come along. If it is a regular pattern then I can plan and buy accordingly.  I would just not bother if it wasn't a product I liked.  There are issues with home made soups here, which I am working on.  Also bear is less willing to eat it, and I am trying to get some nourishment into him.  So buying a quantity of inexpensive tinned soup is a good idea. 

Mr A has the inexpensive mince that we really like.  I did get some from Mr S, but I haven't tested it yet.  Mr S has some chocolate pots that bear likes, but to be completely honest, bear has too much chocolate anyway.  Mind you, he has a friend at school who has chocolate spread sandwiches for his lunch box!  I am not sure which is cheaper, to be honest, and I can't face Mysupermarket at the moment.  They don't compare the way I would anyway.  

Over the next few days I am going to try and get parallel orders booked and see which works out best.  I shall dip into Mysupermarket, but with care.  I shall report back. 

No comments: