Saturday 12 January 2013

Cat Cafe

According to the BBC someone in London is opening a cafe where you can go and get a coffee and cuddle a cat.  It is for those who cannot have pets but have a deep, deep yearning to stroke something feline.  The news story is here and it isn't even 1st April!  Apparently they are going to have segregated areas so the cats are not in the food area, due to hygiene regulations.  Two things occurred to me when I read that.  The first point was that someone has obviously never had to keep a cat out of a place that they wanted to get into.  The second thing was that the sort of person who wants to go into a cat cafe is likely to have a calm attitude to cat hair as a garnish. 

Last night OH watched, laughing helplessly, as I tried to pour a glass of diet coke while evil cat was sitting across my throat and objecting to every arm movement.  First the paw stretched out lazily in front of the bottle, then the tail wafting and shedding over the glass, it was a masterclass in how a cat can interfere with a drink.  And they want to open a cafe.

All I can say to them is, 'Good luck!  You will need it!'

2 comments:

Kitty Greene said...

I feel sorry for the cats, they are not for entertainment and definately not for increasing business ! it shouldn't be allowed.
Cats in the back of a cafe are not the same as a 'petting centre' where animals have room to roam.
What would happen if a cat got fed up of being 'cuddled' as they do ! and bit or scratched ? would there be an outcry and the animal be put down I wonder ? this should be stopped before it gets off the ground.

Wannabe Sybil said...

According to the article an animal shelter is backing this. I suppose it would be okay if there is a bolt hole available. I just don't think it is possible to have the cats in a food environment under current regulations. I mean, ever tried to keep a cat off a chair? Some cats would be fine, but others wouldn't. And you are right, scratches would be inevitable. I am thinking of your cat Rasputin here. Glad it is not my project! WS xxx