Wednesday 2 January 2013

Thinking about coupons

Wean - I have hardly seen any coupons in the papers recently (though don't look so much).  Years ago my grandmother could do things like pay for holidays using this. 

I suppose my style of shopping is currently not really suited to the Extreme Couponing.  I tend to buy Value or Basics or Smartprice, and it has been difficult to get coupons that take the price lower.   However the Value/Basics/Smartprice ranges seem to be getting not only smaller but more expensive - I noticed a 13p hike in Morrisons Value tissues within a month.  BOGOFs and apparent deals are a not always as good as they look. 

A lot of coupons are to entice you to buy products that you would not normally buy.  As I am a brand tart, it is not a pull to get one brand rather than another in some things so coupons to try new stuff are very welcome, as long as they are inexpensive.  However I like to fit my money saving around my lifestyle not my lifestyle round my money saving (to some extent).  There is no point in my buying value beans because OH wouldn't eat them.  They would end up as nothing much more than paperweights. On the other hand, if I can get his favourite brand at a good price I need to stock up.  And some things are fine as generics.

I think I will have a go at a price book and I will also research the very few products I am actually loyal to to see if I can hover around their websites and see if they do promotions in stores. 

I think it is a way of looking at the world.  How do I best fit food we eat to the food available for the best nutritional value per penny and allowing for a house full of fussy eaters.  To some extent I am reinventing the wheel but I need to work things out. 

I am thinking about it...

No comments: