Friday 11 January 2013

Pulling harder

Today I think I have broken every one of my New Year's Resolutions, except that I like to think of them as not broken, merely slightly dented.  I may not have managed to stick to them today, but that doesn't mean I can't keep on trying. 

So far I haven't bought yarn. I have, however, gone slightly mad for scented candles.  Mind you, the last time I really enjoyed the candles and they lasted for six months for myself and darling father - and we have them on all the time, so it could be worse.  And I got the simmer mat I have been after, and the bucket for making my own washing gloop, and a jug that I can keep for measuring washing soda.  Intellectually I know that washing soda is not the same as caustic soda, but I treat it with undue respect.  I shall put one stirrer aside to stir the gloop with gaffer tape around the handle to show that it is 'not for food use' and then all I need is a largish pan from a charity shop.

btw the containers that soap and detergent have been sold in actually shouldn't be used for food.  Apparently they can affect the plastic and leave a residue.  This does not apply to glass.  However a lovely big tub that once held Vanish is probably not good for sugar.  I have a couple of tubs that once held very large quantities of Vanish but now are a lovely size for holding the utensils next to the cooker.

Speaking of Vanish, I am trying to work out whether the deal at Makro for two v large tubs of the stuff for £11 plus VAT is better than one kilo of Asda own brand stuff for £3.  I will be popping in on Monday to pick up vinegar, so I can check weights then.  And they have a deal on dishwasher tablets, and that is almost exactly equal to the best deal I have seen on the supermarkets, but in a very large packet.  There is something about a very large box of 82 dishwasher tablets that I find so reassuring. 

I will think about it over the weekend.  Going to Makro is okay exercise, but not necessarily cheaper.  I suppose that the trip to Makro may be a penny cheaper or dearer than the supermarket (allowing for VAT), but it is still cheaper than the gym.  I'll take my shopping trolley. 

No comments: