Monday 28 January 2013

Not so smug...

Lesley - I think I was under the impression that other mums were doing better, and that the lunchbox police were particularly harsh.  Asking bear a few questions has taken a load from my mind.

Morgan - I am so looking forward to the day that bear makes his own lunch.  It will no doubt be an interesting time as bear seems to manage that a lot!  He has Views. 

Well, today bear went to school with a ham sandwich, mini apple pie, frootz fruit buttons, cherry tomato (which bear swore he liked yesterday), two mini scotch eggs and a drink.  I feel quite proud of such a feast.  Of course, I would feel an even better smug mum if the clothes he was wearing to school had actually been properly ironed and not just shaken as they came out of the dryer. 

To be fair, the clothes didn't look rumpled and when you have a little boy aged six then if the clothes stay unrumpled until the end of the school day then there is something wrong. 

My next dither is a fairly minor one.  The hems of bear's trousers are frayed to pieces now.  I am about to get new ones.  The hems of the new ones will be frayed.  I don't want to turn up the trousers for the half mast look.  I don't want to turn them up at all really because when they are let down I am not convinced I will get the crease mark out.  And unless I turn them up severely then I suspect that they will be frayed to nothing very quickly.  Bear is a bit of a slim jim, especially following a growth spurt.  School trousers tend to slip down.  I have seen iron on material that may match the trousers, or I could cut up older trousers but I cannot think of anyway of patching hems frayed to holes that would not look ridiculous. 

I am also a bit irritated.  Bear's trousers did not do this last year, even though they were just as likely to trail on the floor.  The M&S trousers have been the worst culprit, but the school changed from black to grey trousers and I think they are worse. All the rest of his school uniform is in one piece and more or less fitting, so I really resent having to get new trousers.  So far I have not had to patch his knees.  I am considering putting an iron on patch inside the trousers to reinforce those.  I am not going to consider that for a bit, though, not until it is actually an issue. 

No comments: