Tuesday 29 January 2013

I may have sold some books

They may be a pause for a day or two.  I went on the sony page for an ego trip and looked up the Forgotten Village.  If you rank the 445 books in contemporary fantasy at 99c or under in Bestselling order, the Forgotten Village is No 7.  I may have sold more than a dozen on there.  I am not sure how it will work because if they sold after 5 January then they will not show on my Smashwords statement that is due out.  I am not assuming a lot of sales because I don't know how the bestselling is calculated, and it could be within a very narrow margin. 

I am scared.  I should be giddy and happy but I am scared.  If lots of people are reading, and buying then that theoretically makes me a proper author.  I thought I would only be a proper author if I got my life together.  I don't have a plan.  I feel very adrift and alone.  Also silly because that is a ridiculous and self indulgent way to think. 

So I am going to allow myself another day to wallow, then I need to pull myself together, get over it and get on with it.  Also vet visits tomorrow and there is nothing like a bit of warfare to concentrate the mind.  


3 comments:

Sarah Head said...

Hi Sybil, I've been reading your blog for a while. As a young mum with a young child with other relatives living with you, you may feel life is something which happens to other people while chaos looms all around you. It is very impressive you have published two books and are achieving sales. Something positive may seem scary. I was wondering if you could try to use some solution focused questions to help you view life as less scary. I've noticed that you use the phrase, "I need to pull myself together". I'm curious to know if you have a vision of how life might look if you did "pull yourself together". I also wonder who might be with you doing the pulling together and how best they might support you whilst you were all doing the pulling together. I wonder if you could scale how much of your current life is already looking like the new life where 0 is nothing like and 10 is I'm already in my new life. When you've decided how much to scale, maybe you could consider the question, "What would have to happen to enable me to move 0.5 more towards living the new life?" What and who could help me do this? These are not questions for you to answer publicly, but to think about and maybe, when you are feeling strong enough, you might wish to start taking baby steps towards your preferred future. Good luck and best wishes in all that you do.

Kitty Greene said...

Dear Proper Author,
Congratulations !!!! enjoy -

Wannabe Sybil said...

Sarah - thank you so much for that lovely, kind and helpful message. I will think about what you have put really carefully. It is very thought provoking (and I have a lump in my throat). Thank you! WS xxx