Thursday 31 January 2013

Veg box has arrived

Dear heaven the veg box has arrived.  It is a lot more varied than I thought it would be.  There is things that look like kohl rabi, and sprouts and all sorts!

The carrots, parsnips and potatoes are all dirty, so that should help them last a bit longer.  I shall use the mushrooms tonight.  The future is looking remarkably like spaghetti bolognese - my version of course which involves a tin of condensed tomato soup.

And I will have to sort out the kitchen just to have places to put stuff.

The Approved Food order has come, but I shall wait until bear is home to unpack that.

I can also see a long spell of casserole ahead!  Lots of lovely root veggies.  I also have a lot of greens, I need to get to grips with cabbage, and bubble and squeak looks probable.  There is mustard greens in the box, which I am not sure about, and courgettes which are all mine to snack on raw.

I think I shall have to sort out the fridge, sort out cool spots, sort out ledges and generally sort out.  I have a cheapo chip basket which in the past I have used to blanch veggies before freezing, so I can do that if pushed.  It is a wonderful stimulus.  There are also lemons included in the fruit box I got.  That means honey and lemon chicken, which we all love.  Or possibly lemon curd.  Bear has become quite keen on lemon curd and I would like to make some lemon curd tarts.  The smartprice lemon curd may not be quite the thing as as far as I can see from the ingredient list it the lemon curd hasn't actually got any lemons in.

Many of the smaller veggies are in paper bags - I like that a lot!

Hmmm, it is really stormy today, so perhaps mince with lots of onions and fresh carrots and parsnip with a side of greens of some variety and a big pile of mash with extra for bubble and squeak tomorrow...

Veg box a success!

No comments: