Wednesday 9 January 2013

Loo Roll and watching the pennies

Little bear is currently trying to use his body weight in loo roll per week.  I did get a large quantity of the stuff from AF a while ago, but it is finally used up, I am down my last pack of nine, and little bear's usage mean's that it won't last long.  Plus we have all had funny tummies over Christmas, so the bathroom has been a high traffic area.

I do have access to Makro, but they aren't always less expensive.  I actually do prefer the bigger roll packs, that is, six bigger than average rolls.  It works out a lot less expensive, the rolls last for ages, even with little bear, and there is the ecological benefits (less packaging, less number of trips to buy etc).

You really do need to be so on the ball with these things in all areas.  I have just been on the phone to darling uncle putting on an online delivery for him, and he wanted tinned kidney beans, the half sized tins.  I said that he could save money by buying the basics version, but that was only in full sized.  Darling uncle didn't want to buy the bigger tin, because of waste.  I pointed out that the smaller Sainsburys own brand tin was 45p for 215g.  The basics 420g tin was 21p.  He could throw half away (anathema to darling uncle) and save 24p.  He got the bigger tins.

I think the biggest thing is to get a stock take of food and cleaning products.  I must have been nattering about doing it for six months.  It isn't going to happen while I am full of cold and my shoulder is bad.  However if my shoulder gets slightly better and I can go for up to fifteen minutes without needing to wipe my nose I need to get that done.  Because buying cheaper is good but not buying it if I don't need it is better. 

No comments: