Sunday 27 January 2013

Still shopping

I had booked both Asda and Sainsbury to deliver today, potentially at the same time.  I could live with that.  I have also succumbed to an Approved Food order, but there seems to be less and less that I would actually need on there.  I've ordered a veg and fruit box, with some greens, from someone extremely local.  This morning we also picked up some odds and ends from Makro.

Makro was useful.  I picked up a 22kg bag of salted grit for £6 (inc vat) at a half price offer and the tins of coca cola that OH likes.  I also picked up some cereal bars that bear eats and when I am not feeling good I can give him them in the morning and know that there are worse breakfasts (although not many).  All of those were a lot cheaper than the supermarkets.  The salted grit is to be stashed for next year.  I also picked up some mini scotch eggs that bear likes and some tomatoes because bear insists he likes tomatoes.  It is only a few months since he was vehemently protesting that he hated tomatoes.  Before that he loved them.  I go with the flow. 

Mr S delivered including the squeezy honey which was such a good offer and the half price mild olive oil.  They were a few minutes early, but I didn't mind. 

I waited and waited for the Mr A delivery, and it didn't come.  Eventually I checked online, at all the orders had been cancelled, even those ones amended today.  I could order again for delivery after Tuesday and have a free delivery on us.  The great deal on Famous Grouse 1l had evaporated.  I decided to save the voucher until I actually wanted some stuff.

The cooked ham for bear's packed lunch came with Mr S but I did have to go out in some unpleasant rain to a local and unreliable shop a little way away for the bread for his sandwiches.   I shall pick up some marg/butter type spread from the lovely newsagent tomorrow, if I remember, just a little one.  I will then pick up what I need from Morrisons on Wednesday. I can do without all the other stuff that I had ordered. 

This made me think carefully.  How much am I buying that we don't actually really need?  And how much am I paying too much for? 

The bread at the local Nisa is a lot dearer than the supermarkets.  The bread at Makro is slightly dearer, but I get a walk normally, though today OH gave me a lift.  If I go to a shop I suffer from impulse buying.  But I can manage that online anyway (cf Approved Food!)  btw while Asda were selling Heinz soup at 50p, and Sainsbury at 6 for £4, Makro had them on a tray at 83p per tin plus VAT.  You really do need to put the brainpower into shopping. 

Basically I need to buy less.  I have been saying this for a while.  We have had a delivery cancelled and only have minor inconvenience.  I really, really, really need to wake up to this. 

No comments: