Wednesday 10 April 2013

Bobotie Happened

I actually planned to cook Bobotie tonight, and I actually did cook Bobotie and I almost followed the recipe exactly!  There seem to be a lot of ingredients, but most of them are flavouring.

I got this version from a book called 'Our Favourite Food' sold in aid of the Teenage Cancer Trust.

Ingredients: 1kg minced lamb (I used beef); 125ml milk plus extra for soaking; 1 thick slice of white bread; 2 roughly chopped onions; 3 eggs; 1 tbs curry powder; 1 chilli finely chopped (I left this out); 1/2 cup vinegar (@ 125ml); 1 tbs lemon juice; 1 tsp brown sugar; 1 tbs chutney; 1 clove garlic

Mode:
1. Remove crusts from bread and soak in milk (I chopped the bread first)
2. Soften onion and garlic in oil then add the mince and brown
3. Squeeze milk out of bread and add to mince together with curry powder, vinegar, lemon juice, sugar and chilli and cook for a minute or two
4. Beat eggs and milk together
5. Place mince mixture in buttered pie dish then pour over the eggs and milk mixture
6. Bake in oven for 30 mins 325F 160C Gas 3

The serving suggestion was with salad.  I served with mash and steamed carrots.  It is a dish that has its roots in South Africa and I suspect it is a campfire way of making tough meat tasty.  There is a lot of acid in the dish which would act as a tenderiser for tough bits of whatever could be brought into the kitchen.  Apart from the meat it isn't too expensive and different versions I have seen could be served again cold.  If I had got the portion control right it would definitely have done two days.

It went down very well with DF and DH.  Bear declared it was disgusting and I found it a bit sour.  I think next time I will not add vinegar and see how it goes.

Tomorrow is veg box day and I am really looking forward to finding out what is in it.  I shall also be eating salad as I use up the red pepper and courgettes.  There is a lot of fruit left over at the moment, although bear was tucking in a lot today, so that is good.

No comments: