Friday 19 April 2013

Evil cat went quietly

RavyLesley - Evil cat was failing and on Wednesday morning she couldn't find her food or water dishes.  The vet would have been happy to put her to sleep on Monday but I wasn't pushing her a second before she needed to go.  Tuesday night she still managed to happily steal from my plate (I let her).  However she was so skinny that she couldn't do without food and certainly not without water.  She was wandering around in a daze and kept bumping in to things like the sofa that hasn't moved for years. I couldn't leave her like that.

I called the vet and they jiggled things around so the vet could come out - 3.10 was the time they gave.  I was supposed to be picking up bear at 3.15 from school.  So I rang around and got bear into the after school club and then I sat with evil cat and waited.  Nice Mr Next Door came in and said goodbye.  He is really missing her atm.  They were good pals.  I made sure I was in the room with her.  She was just sleeping.  Now and again she would climb on me, then she would want to get back to the sofa and I would help her.  I have a two inch scratch on my hand from where she was trying to work out where her back paws were.

The vet didn't get here until after 4pm.  Once here he was wonderful.  He knew her from old and sedated her first as I stroked her.  Afterwards he got a towel and wrapped her in it and took her out to his van as gently as if she had been just sleeping.

Bear was devastated when I told him, and is now alternating between being completely bereft and using his loss as leverage to get treats.

We will be going away in May, so I don't want to get a cat before that.  In fact, if we could get away without having a cat until we see evidence of mice I would actually be quite grateful.  I am guiltily enjoying being able to get on with stuff like knitting.  The Strawberry Tart has been adopted by a neighbour.  I am not even considering bringing in the Ginger Gentleman as Nice Mr Next Door would quite rightly object on behalf of his own cats.  However I never wanted a cat in the first place so I have no faith that I will not end up with a feline companion very soon.

Thank you for giving me the excuse to tell the story of evil cat's passing.  It was quiet and gentle and she will be missed a great deal.

6 comments:

ravylesley said...

Awww Sybs your post made me sob uncontrollably and like you I will miss Evil Cat even if she was only a Virtual Cat to me

Lesleyxx

Wannabe Sybil said...

So sorry it made you cry. I still can't quite take it in. I keep expecting her to climb up me/walk over the keyboard/shred the knitting/steal the dinner. Thank you for the kind thoughts for her, the hugs and kind wishes have really helped. WS xxx

Kitty Greene said...

I didn't like to ask in case it upset you even more. =^..^=

Wannabe Sybil said...

Wean - I'm okay now I've had time to calm down. And being me, it helps to 'tell a story'.

Thank you to everyone for hugs. It's meant a lot. WS xxx

Marybelle said...

WS, my deepest sympathy to you all. I have not had a chance to check your blog for a couple of days and, although you had prepared us for this, I feel so, so sad for you. As I have said before, being involved in rescue for a long time, we have had many such incidents, but it doesn't get easier. Take care of yourself and just remember all the funny things and happy times with Evil Cat.
love
Mary
xxxxxx

Wannabe Sybil said...

Marybelle - thank you so much for the hugs. I am still feeling it. However I have so many memories of her - she was so much her! Thank you. WS xxx