Wednesday 24 April 2013

Terms and conditions apply

Bear is being interesting about food.  In fact, he is being a bit spoiled.  I was his age over forty years ago and even if the money had been there, the range of foods were much narrower than now and what would be tolerated with regards to waste was a lot different across the whole of society.  I remember when the inflation was so bad that you didn't know how much a loaf of bread would cost from one week to the next, and we have had so many years since of stable prices.  It is an unwelcome shock to see food inflation coming back.

So bear has food he likes and food he doesn't.  Sometimes he likes food a lot, the same food can be rejected utterly a week later, then he complains that he 'never' gets it and please can he have some - now.  The most recent example is raisins.  He used to love raisins, he had them in his packed lunch.  Then they were utterly rejected as deegusting and I sighed as I worry about iron in his diet and that was one easy route.  Bear was adamant.  He loathed raisins.  He rejected them, they were not fit to cross the threshold and he would never, ever eat them.  Bear was emphatically clear - no raisins.

So I was looking over a very small Approved Food order and noted that they had packs of the raisins for lunches.  'You don't like raisins, do you?' as a sort of wistful comment.  'I love raisins!' bear said indignantly.
'Since when?' I asked.  'I've always loved raisins,' bear said, very cross that I hadn't remembered this.

As DH says, when it comes to bear and food, terms and conditions apply.

No comments: