Thursday 4 April 2013

Finally a Picture!

Here is the vegetables that we got...



That's two courgettes, a red pepper, a nice full lettuce, a rather disappointing head of celery, broccoli, loads of carrots, parsnips, potatoes, mushrooms, onions, an avocado, two leeks, garlic, onions and a considerable quantity of beetroot.  There is also a small punnet of cherry tomatoes that I don't think you can see in the photo.

Then there was the fruit box...

That's plenty of bananas, two kiwis, satsuma-type things, apples and two oranges.  

Together they came to £21.  They are all organic and there was no delivery charge (I love this).  I can almost certainly beat this if I shop around for non organic stuff.  However I would be making a choice rather than thinking - what on earth can I do with beetroot?  I want something that will drive diversity in my cooking and try and push me to cook more imaginatively.  

I also have loads of stuff left from last week - more apples, bananas, lots of pears, sweet potatoes and the butternut squash that has been staring at me for around a month or more.  There are plenty of potatoes as well.  This is going to be an interesting challenge.  

Tonight DF and DH are having pulled pork that DF bought at the Kirkstall Abbey fair.  It has been in the fridge, so I hope it is okay.  Bear and I will have to have something different with the broccoli and remoska potatoes.  I am clutching a bit at straws here, it may be hot dog sausages.  

Tomorrow bear and I are going shopping.  It will be infinitely less expensive to get stuff delivered, but bear hasn't left the house since Sunday and will happily spend twelve hours tomorrow on the computer.  He needs to get out.  While we are out I will leave a casserole in the slow cooker.  We have such a quantity of carrot, parsnip and onion and we need to get the celery used up quickly.  That leaves china chilo for Saturday, which will please DH, to use up the lettuce.  I won't be able to use up any of the veg Saturday lunch as we will be out.  I should be tightening our belts, but we have booked to go on a guided tour of the City Varieties in Leeds.  Lunch will be in town.  I have no idea what comes after that, but I know that I am faced with beetroot and have no idea.  No-one in our family ever remembers to use pickles.  I am about to throw out half a dozen jars of chutney, most given at Christmas, all with one serving taken out and then abandoned.  I am not pickling beetroot.  

I am off to google recipes.  I am loving this challenge.

2 comments:

Lesley said...

Beetroot brownies are nice, especially good for small boys as they look like they are bleeding! Beetroot and corned beef hash works well too. Honest! Lesley x

Wannabe Sybil said...

Those ideas are brilliant! Especially the bleeding brownies, I am sure bear will appreciate them - thank you! WS xxx