Thursday 11 April 2013

Veg Box has arrived!

This is what I still have


There is a lot of fruit, a lot of onions, and I still haven't had the avocado.

This is the fruit I got


It is organic, and very nice looking.  However the fruit cost £6.  That is a few apples and pears, three plums, four satsumas, four bananas and two kiwis.  I am weighing up this, as the apples and pears in particular are very good quality and it gives a variety that I would never think to get.

This is the veg I got


That cost £15.  I am confident I could get an equivalent weight of veg cheaper.  On the other hand I wanted to get a bit more adventurous with food and now I am looking at celeriac and kohl rabi and a very funny looking thing that is between an onion and a leek and I am finding new ways to do things.

Also there was this


I am now about to google what on earth to do with asparagus.  I would never think to have asparagus, but now I have that challenge.  The veg box is definitely worth it just for that.

I have peeled, sliced and frozen the mushrooms and six pears are currently being cooked as pear cake, and the lettuce will definitely be china chilo tomorrow.  I just need to bite the bullet and deal with that dratted butternut squash.

5 comments:

Morgan said...

No rush with the butternut squash - i bought one in March 2012 and cut it open this week and it was fine! Would have eaten it as well if I hadn't left it on the oven too long and burned it whilst I was on the phone updating everyone on the FH's health!! They keep. No rush!

Wannabe Sybil said...

Thank you - that is a relief. I am finding this veg box such fun! You are in my prayers, hugs WS xxx

Mermaid's Purse said...

This recipe for Butternut Squash soup is delicious though two teaspoons of chilli flakes is rather hot ....... especially for the little one :)

Mermaid's Purse said...

Sorry, I may have forgotten the link http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/spicy-butternut-squash-soup-3089

Wannabe Sybil said...

Mermaid's Purse - thank you! I probably will ease off on the chilli flakes as I am no good with anything spicy. I am so enjoying finding all these new dishes. Thank you again! WS xxx