Monday 8 April 2013

Monday continues

Well, I managed to get the stew on.  I put in the two leeks, the parsnips and a good bit of the carrots.  I also added some dried onion and some potatoes.  I really need to google some of the potato varieties in the veg box as they do tell you and it does make a difference.  I put in a packet of dried vegetable soup mix rather than any stock cube, and don't tell bear but garlic was involved.  I am used to the supermarket garlic (many years back when I last used it fresh).  This was a lovely fat, chunky clove that squeezed very satisfactorily.  I also really must remember to chop the chopped turkey breast.  The chunks are enormous, but today I just tipped them in the pan.



Memo to self - learn to make a small  stew.  Bear is currently campaigning for fish fingers.  Sigh.

If all goes well it is butternut squash soup tomorrow with cake.  If it works I shall share the recipe.  Then Wednesday will be bobotie, but a new recipe, fingers crossed for that but the recipe includes a tablespoon of chutney and it could be the answer to the Christmas gift chutney.

I have also started using the new chopping boards I reluctantly picked up from Argos for £2.99 for two.  I don't like Argos but I was in a rush.  I also picked up their least expensive food processor for £14.99.  I need to start working on that, as it will make a lot of the chopping much easier.  At £14.99 I don't expect much - the next one up was over double the price.  However hopefully it will help me get into the swing of more adventurous cooking.  Some medieval and early modern cookbooks recommend beating egg whites with twigs for half an hour.  I am very grateful for electric or pump action whisks.

I have also decided that tomorrow my lunch will be a mashed avocado sandwich.  I quite like that, and it is v nutritious also not going to waste.

Also on the bright side I have sorted out the problem with the static electric in my red sweater.  I managed to tip half a bottle of hair conditioner on it.  Smells quite nice, actually.


No comments: