Saturday 27 April 2013

Keeping on keeping on

We had mushroom souffle for lunch.  It worked!  It was light and fluffly with a slighly gooey centre, all cooked, very tasty and bear asked if we could have it more often.  I'd put the recipe here but I have no idea what happened.

First off I decided that the recipe from the last time I did the mushroom souffle was a bit insipid.  So I got the Hairy Bikers recipe for smoked haddock souffle from BBC good food and then added a bit more milk (14 fl oz instead of 11) as it was going to be mushrooms rather than fish.

I weighed and measured the flour, butter (1oz or 25g each) and milk and separated the 4 eggs.  Then I chopped one of the bags of mushrooms that came with the veg box very finely.  I thought for a moment and added a crushed clove of garlic to the mushrooms.  I cooked them very slowly in the butter then added the flour, let it cook for a minute and then very, very gradually added the milk and a small pinch of dried basil.  It was all going so well.

I left the mixture to cool slightly as I was beating the egg whites and that was when disaster happened.  I spilled a load.  I just had been thinking that I hadn't had a cooking disaster for a week or so and now this.  I had no idea how much egg white had been spilled but it seemed like a lot.  DH came and comforted me and I was very grateful.  Then I made a guess, added another egg white and carried on beating.

It worked!  It really worked!  DH suggested taking a picture, and I would have if I could have found a camera.  I am really thrilled.  It tasted lovely and I will certainly be doing it again.

No comments: