Saturday 27 April 2013

Learning more and more

Today I am going to try and fit in a huge amount of writing.  I want to get 'At the Sign of the White Hart Pt2' finished over the weekend.  This will be free to read on the Lyssa blog.  On Monday there is a prompt from a writing group for a 500 word piece.  I'll have a go at that, and people will be directed to Lyssa's blog and I want something else for them to read when they get there.  Hopefully I will start making a name as a good writer.

The rest of the time I'm working on Digging up the Past.  I've just killed someone off and things are flowing much more smoothly.  However the writing is having some pleasant side effects.  I've copied over a post I made on Lyssa's blog, and I hope you find the links interesting.

Writing is sometimes as educational as reading.  I've been struggling to remember what flowers when, as during the last twelve months in the UK the weather has been cold, damp and unpromising and things haven't grown as they should.  A tv show 'The Wartime Farm' struggled to reconstruct farming during WWII because, as the presenter put it, even the weeds weren't growing.  As I have been pottering around this week I have thought the flowers are doing well for the beginning of March.  However I am typing this at the end of April. 

So as ever, when everything else fails I turn to google.  I found this site - English Wildflowers, a Seasonal Guide - and I had a good look round.

While I was trying to find the right plants to add to a descriptive passage in 'Digging up the Past' I found a small entry called 'Chickweed Willowherb'.  I had a bit of a look out of curiosity and I found a plant that I had known from childhood as a very common weed that was easy to pull up when weeding and that had pretty flowers. 

picture by martinjohnbishop and posted on iSpot

So while I've known what this plant looks like since I was old enough to toddle, I only now know its name.  I probably won't drop it into the middle of a block of description, but I will remember it.

Interestingly enough, as I was looking for a picture for this I found a site called iSpot, which has all sorts of nature sightings and records just sent in by the public.  I found a few bits that were local to me.  So I learned even more.

No comments: